This Summer at the Varley!
Come to Markham and paint outdoors.
Just as F.H. Varley did, local artists, are invited to set up their easels on Main St. Unionville and in Toogood Pond Park to paint or draw in the open air. Everyone is welcome to join us painting outdoors.
Saturday, August 10 to Sunday, August 11, 2019.
Varley Art Gallery En Plein Air Competition
Are you an artist living in Markham or York Region?
Would you like to have a chance to exhibit yourt work at the historic McKay Art Centre on Main Street Unionville?
Apply to participate in this years' Varley En Plein Air Competition.
The Varley Art Gallery of Markham is excited to announce its first annual En Plein Air Competition! In celebration of F.H. Varley and his connection with Unionville, local artists will set up their easels on Main Street Unionville and in Toogood Pond Park to paint or draw in the open air the weekend of August 10 – 11, 2019. The works produced will be juried by a committee and the winners’ works will be shown in the En Plein Air exhibition at the historic McKay Art Centre on Main Street Unionville. The exhibition will take place in September, 2019, to coincide with Doors Open Markham. The deadline to apply to participate in the competition is July 5, 2019, and application details can be found at varleyartgallery.ca.
A suggested donation of $10 will be collected at registration to benefit the Education Department at the Varley Art Gallery of Markham.
YSpace in Markham is hosting a series of workshops this month that you won't want to miss!
- #PitchIT York on June 5 on June 5
- Sample social message: Want to be part of an interactive event with awesome networking, giveaways and elevator pitches? Join YSpace and @Opeoplenetwork for the fourth #PitchItYork event of the year on June 5th! #YorkRegion #YRTech #YorkUniversity Register at: https://opn.ninja/event/pitchit-york-show-11/
- Founder Fundamentals – Cash Flow and Projections on June 6
- Sample social message: Thought about starting your own business but not sure where to begin? Founder Fundamentals at @YSpaceYU is a program designed to help you kick start your entrepreneurial career whether you’re a brick & mortar company, professional services or technology startup. Learn from industry experts and gain the skills you need to succeed! #FounderFundamentals Find out more here! http://yspace.yorku.ca/events/
- Pitch Day for Tech Entrepreneurs with Mentor Works, Entro Communications, & Millennium Funding on June 13
- Sample social message: Looking for an opportunity to #Pitch your business strategy to a panel of judges and for a chance to win a complimentary co-op hire ($5K-$12K value)? Learn more and register here https://yspacepitchday.eventbrite.ca
- Founder Fundamentals – Legal Basics for your Startup on June 13
- Sample Social Message: Do I need to incorporate? Should I trademark my name? At #FounderFundamentals Legal Basics for your Startup workshop on June 13th, we will offer answers to many of these legal questions! For more details, click here: http://yspace.yorku.ca/events/
- Start Building Web and Mobile Applications with React.js with Finnovate.io on June 19
- Sample Social Message: Interested in building modern web and mobile applications, getting a refresher on React.js or meeting like-minded developers and entrepreneurs? Come out to YSpace on June 19 for the Start Building Web and Mobile Apps workshop! Space is limited so don't miss out on the chance to join! Register at http://bit.ly/2Lu2rvU
AUGUST 4 TO 9, 2019
Exploring and Learning Together!
This year we head to the East side of our province to beautiful Kingston Ontario! Our courses will be held at historic Queen’s University and will include a week of incredible training opportunities for you to explore something new or boost your skills. We have the opportunity to keep all courses, the accommodations and all meals on the premises and we are taking full advantage of the wonderful, modern facilities Queen’s has to offer.
"I have learned things both tangible and intangible that I know will influence my future work in a positive way. I benefitted from being able to hear feedback ... and so too the chance to discuss and react to what my colleagues are working on. It's a rare privilege and I'm very grateful for the experience." - 2018 Summer Theatre Participant
For 2019, we are offering the following courses:
Fundamentals of Acting, with Rosanna Saracino
Devised Theatre for Intersectional Artists, with Sabah Haque
Playing with Commedia Dell'Arte, with Catriona Leger
Directions on Directing: An Introductory Look at Directing, with Andrew Lamb
Digging into Directing, with Lezlie Wade
Exploring the Art of Adaptation, with Rosamund Small - CANCELLED
Music Direction for Community and Regional Theatre, with Scott White
YOUR WEEK’S OVERVIEW
- Check in at your accommodations between 3:00pm-5:00pm on Sunday
- Welcome party on Sunday at 5:30pm, followed by a meet and greet with your instructor and classmates
- Catered meals daily for lunch and dinner including vegetarian fare
- Class and assignments throughout the week will follow your instructor’s schedule, with at least thirty hours of in-class instruction
- Evenings will be made up of class assignments, a live play reading, and a trip to Thousand Islands Playhouse to take in a show
- Courses finish: Friday at 12pm, with a closing luncheon to follow
Summer Theatre Intensive features Playwright-in-Person play readings from a Canadian playwright.
Our 2019 Playwright will be announced soon!
99 University Avenue